Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Farmer's Market Raleigh, NC ~Candice G.

For this assignment, I went to The Farmer's Market in Raleigh located at 1201 Agriculture Street. The Farmer's Market offers fresh produce, plants and local products with over 35,ooo spaces rented out to local growers and merchants. It is the best place to get fresh fruits and vegetables and meet the growers in an open friendly environment. The market also features a fresh seafood market/restaurant as well as a traditional restaurant that is open for breakfast and lunch. Indoors there are specialty shops including the NC Meat and Cheese Center. It features farm raised, all natural Poultry, Heritage Beef, Ostrich, Bison, Duck, and other specialty meats, eggs, various cheeses and more.


As I was walking down the rows, I couldn't help but think how much these local products put the food at the chain supermarkets to shame. In addition to that, the people who grow everything are right there to answer any questions you have. You can tell that they take care of their products and take a lot of pride in what they do by how excited they are to have you try their samples and volunteer information about the extra care that they take to ensure that they are selling the best produce possible.

In addition to all of the picture perfect fruits and vegetables, there was also an abundance of flowering plants, trees, and shrubs for sale from local plant nurseries. I think the best thing I saw was locally jarred SEEDLESS blackberry jam! Now that's dedication! Another thing that caught my attention was a stand that was filled entirely with locally jarred honey of all different types. I had no idea that there was so many different options concerning honey! I suppose that's what I get for never venturing out in my grocery shopping beyond Harris Teeter.



Since the main part of the market is outdoors, not only did I get to sample the fresh food, meet the friendly people who grew everything, and have the option to support local farmers and sustainability, but I also got to do my grocery shopping while enjoying the sunny day! Getting local fruits, vegetables, meats and cheeses from The Farmer's Market is better in price, better in quality, a much more enjoyable experience, and more environmentally ethical than going to a chain supermarket. That's pretty much a hands down win in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment