Monday, May 9, 2011

Jockey's Ridge State Park - Claire Lucas


I traveled to Nags Head and visited Jockey's Ridge State Park. My family visited Nags Head when I was little, so it was interesting to go back and see how the outer banks have changed. Many houses and tourist attractions are either non existent or were moved further inland. Erosion of the outer banks generates many problems to the environment and to the economy. Hurricanes, crashing waves, and climate changes are the main causes of beach erosion. I learned many attempts are made to save the beach by artificially nourishing the sand. This solution is expensive and controversial.


Overall, I loved visiting the outer banks. Jockey's Ridge seems to be endless miles of sand dunes. And of course, while at the outer banks, I had to honor Wilbur and Orville by visiting the Wright Brothers Memorial. No wonder we must save the sand dunes, they are the reason for the Wright Brothers came to NC for their first flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment