Monday, May 2, 2011

Joseph Hines: visits Coco Cay, Bahamas


Over spring break I went on a Royal Caribbean Cruise throughout the bahamas. One of the locations was Coco Cay, an island 55 miles north of Nassau, is being leased by Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd. The island a little less than a mile wide and only a couple hundred yards long. Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd. has transformed the island into a tourist recreational area with activities on the beaches such as swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, parasailing, scuba diving, and jet skiing. The island also nature trails all over the island, giving tourists a chance to see a large variety of plants in a lush tropical terrain.

I had the idea to use this place for my blog post and asked someone that worked there how the island was designed to keep it from drastically effecting the surrounding water and plant life. All he could really tell me was that a company named Coastal Systems International, Inc. designed the island. Afterwards, I went online and found out that the Coastal Systems International, Inc. provided the engineering design, the project management and construction administration for the island. The website stated that the company developed a new infrastructure that would be bringing “responsible management” to protect the surrounding environment. The project was to reuse the water used in the sewage treatment process and reenforce the fuel lines on the island to protect it from any problem it could potentially have. A big issue with tourism in the Bahamas is water pollution and waste disposal, and with the changes made on Coco Cay it helps prevent such problems so that many more people in the future can enjoy the scenery and wildlife. The last picture is of a shell I found when I waded into the water, and when I looked inside it had some kind of creature living inside of it. I wanted to keep the shell but I decided that I would leave it alone and let other people enjoy it. Also, I would of felt a little bad if I had taken the little guy out of the shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment