Sunday, May 1, 2011

NC Birding Trail: Lake Johnson


During the weekend I went to Lake Johnson in Raleigh, which is known for the lake, boating, fishing, greenway walking trails, and picnic shelters. One thing that Lake Johnson offers that I was not aware of until I was searching the Environmental Education Center's of North Carolina website was the birding trails. Lake Johnson is officially apart of the 103 birding sites in the Piedmont area and there is a map of recommended birding trails in Lake Johnson.

My time at Lake Johnson began on the 1.9 miles of unpaved trail. I was surrounded by really tall trees and unfortunately the birds were all on the tree tops and were really difficult to see. So, I then went to the part of the lake with paved trails and I found 4 birdhouses along the trail and saw many robins and ducks.

The birds that I saw on Sunday were, Robins, Mallard Ducks, Canada Geese, Swallows, and Blue Heron. My dad bird watches and I never bird watched until now and I really enjoyed it.

-Stephanie Horvath

No comments:

Post a Comment